I got a great surprise a few weeks ago when I found out my former co-worker and friend is coming for a visit. She, her husband and son have been living in Sweden for the last year and a half while she completes her Masters there. She has a short break from her studies, so we will get to explore a little bit of Turkey together. I am excited to see her reaction to life in Turkey, as daily life and occurrences are becoming more and more familiar to me.
I compiled a little prep list for her before her arrival here (these are strictly my thoughts and opinions).
1. Do not judge me for my apartment, especially my bathroom.
2. Pedestrians do not have the right of way and you must be careful and alert on the streets.
3. You will need ear plugs in order to fall asleep as my spare bedroom is very noisy….sorry!
4. You will be awakened by the early morning call to prayer.
5. Being a vegetarian here is doable, but challenging and not really understood.
6. You will get much attention due to your blonde hair and blue eyes.
7. You will have no problem asking for directions as everyone is eager to help.
8. Get used to much honking on the streets and not wearing a seatbelt.
9. Practise your bargaining skills.
10. Be ready for much smoke and smoking.